that’s really interesting though because honestly black men didn’t start admiring my hair until it grew long. when i had a teeny weeny afro i had several black men talk shit about my hair and tell me to “get my hair done” not realizing the same thing they’re hating on when it’s short is the same hair that they admire now and want to touch all the time and consider it “done” even when it’s just out in a fro.
“Act my age?
What the fuck is that, “act my age”?
What do I care how old I am?
The Ocean is old as fuck.
It will still drown your ass with vigor.”—the greatest thing i have ever read (via donthateassociate)
i’m going to be a warrior for my children’s self esteems, particularly my girls. i will go to fucking war protecting their senses of self worth. i will stand as a shield between them and society and they’ll never go a day without hearing from me how beautiful and worthy they are, how special they are, how blessed the world is by virtue of them existing. they won’t take my baby’s smiles. i don’t care who i have to knock down to make sure their heads are always high.
1. When your friends ask you to hangout, and you don’t feel like it, don’t go. Don’t ever do things halfway or do something that makes you uncomfortable. With everything, give all of yourself, even the pieces you never knew existed.
2. It is okay to not know. Everyone always despises the phrase, “I don’t know” but no one tells you that it is okay to not know. The becoming is more important than the being, anyways.
3. If someone ever makes you feel less, in any way, you have every right to walk away. You have every right to cut out toxic people in your life. To close the door on people who make you feel bad about who you are or what you stand for. Friends don’t tear down, they build up.
4. Loss is always going to happen. Just like paint will always chip and rain will always fall, loss will always be part of life. No matter how much I don’t like it, or avoid it, it is going to walk my way at several times in my life. Learn to embrace it and learn to get closure.
5. Give yourself a chance. Stop saying, “I don’t think I can” or “But what if I am not able to?” and give yourself a chance. This may be cliche, but try to believe in yourself. When you get older, your knees won’t work the same and you won’t have the best memory, and you are going to wish you’d given yourself a chance years sooner.
6. Fall in love. Don’t be guarded before you fall in love. You could fall in love three times and still not find the right one, but none of it is going to make “the one” matter less. Don’t fall into that idea that your first love has to be your best love. Fall in love as many times as it naturally happens.
7. Firsts are going to be messy. First loves, first kisses, first dates, first failed tests, first college class, first time you drive a car, first time you ride a plane - first times were made to be imperfect. Just because it’s messy and all over the place, doesn’t mean it can’t be good or worthwhile.
8. You want another scoop of ice-cream? Go get it. Get three more scoops of ice-cream if that is what you want. “Fat” is not the opposite of beautiful and it is not the opposite of happy. Don’t let anyone tell you that your body type isn’t beautiful. Beauty is a social construct, create your own, become your own.
9. Let yourself be alone. Loneliness is not a bad thing. It is healthy and normal. Everyone needs to spend a good portion of their life alone. We learn who we are when we are alone; life is less crowded and more clear when we are alone.
10. If you aren’t happy where you are, change it. Quit your job, move, become a vegetarian, get a new hobby, pick up an old hobby, whatever you do - make sure it benefits you. Life is too short to not be alive, to not be passionate, and overflowing.
Before you cheat on your girl.. just think how good she is too you & how good the sex is. The way she throws it back and tells you she loves you, the she screams your name when you hit that spot, how wet her shit get, how loyal she is to you, how beautiful she is.. her smile, her hugs, her corny jokes, the way she teases you, her annoying ass texts & crazy phone calls with her unconditional love... Now imagine another nigga having all that.